We use technology every single day
practically all the time! In thinking
about which three pieces of technology I find most essential in my life, I had
a hard time singling out just three. I
ended up choosing my cell phone, the internet, and tv.
I find it hard to imagine my life without
these three key technological concepts, as they have become such a staple in my
every day life. From getting up in the morning with my alarm
clock on my phone, to staying connected throughout the day with the internet,
and watching the news or my favorite shows before I go to bed, I have grown
dependent on these devices. Now with the
internet being available on our phones and through our televisions, we really
can be connected all day long, as many of us are. These technologies have an
incredible impact on the ways in which we learn new information.
I remember when I was younger in elementary
school I would have to go downstairs and yank out the encyclopedias for my
homework assignments. I would find the
letter that corresponded with my word of inquiry and go searching through the
pages until I found the desired definition.
Before the internet the world depended on books, newspapers, and other
documents for information. However, once
the internet was created and refined, it became the single best source for
finding information, and as it was significantly faster and easier than leafing
through encyclopedias, it quickly became the preferred method. The internet makes learning easy, simple, and
something that you can do with the click of a finger whenever you desire. It puts a world of information at your
fingertips and begs you to take advantage of it. I can’t imagine going back to a time where
you need to find answers in a library, and where finding that information
wasn’t always a given.
The internet has impacted learning
tremendously, and is now available through our cell phones and our television
sets. Our phones have become almost a
third hand, as some of the students in the video were saying. One student expressed that he wouldn’t mind
if his phone were duct taped to him, a sentiment that sounds slightly scary,
yet is a sentiment that is shared amongst many of today’s youth. Our phones have become our one connecting
object; connecting us to the internet, to our world of friends on facebook, to
our favorite news websites, our favorite game apps, to virtually anything and
everything we could desire. While I
initially resisted the urge to become attached to my phone, it seemed
inevitable. The freedom of knowing that
you can obtain any information by means of a quick google search is both liberating
and amazing. From looking up recipes, to
translating words, to connecting with friends around the world, the
possibilities presented by the internet really are limitless. So long as we use the internet for all its
good, I think it’s a wonderful and life changing event to have the internet
accessible through our phones with the click of a finger.
The
third technology I deemed as essential is the television. The television is a great source of
entertainment, news, distraction, and connecting agent. Through it we’re able to stay up to date on all
our favorite shows and current events from around the world, or just relax and zone
out after a long days’ work. The
television provides us with live and accurate news from all corners of the
world, and allows us to learn about what’s going on quickly and in an
entertaining format. Now that
televisions can be hooked up with the internet as well, it allows us to always
have a means of finding the information we’re searching for, and to always be
connected.

No comments:
Post a Comment