Saturday, September 12, 2015

Pew Survey Results: Teachers' Technology Use



I found this study to be very informative and useful regarding technology used in the classroom, as well as somewhat surprising.  Though it’s no surprise to me that the internet has a major impact on a teacher’s ability to access content and resources, as well as network with other teachers, professionals, and communicate with parents, cell phone use in the classroom did come as a shock to me.   According to the survey a staggering 73% of the participants reported that they used their phone in the classroom to complete assignments, and almost half used e-readers and tablet computers.  Also surprising to me was that more than 75% have students access and submit assignments online. 
When I was in school technology had a much different role in the classroom and out, and it is quite interesting to see in this survey just how much the classroom environment has changed.  While it is great that kids and teachers alike have access to so much information at their fingertips, it also has some negative connotations.  Having such easy access to resources means that teachers may feel pressured to always be ‘connected’ and feel responsible for a wider range of content and skills.

Growing up in this high tech era has made me confident in my abilities.  I consider it a great advantage to be entering the classroom confident with technology, as generally is the case with younger teachers; under 35 years old reported a 64% confidence rate versus teachers over 55 at a 44% confidence rate.  Though confident, I know that I have many areas I can improve in and look forward to learning more about how to be a tech savy teacher in the front of the class.

6 comments:

  1. I like you feel quite confident in my technological abilities however, with technology ever changing there are so many new aspects of technology that effect individuals in every aspect. What are some technology areas you would like to improve on? Which one would you like to improve first? Why? Though I am confident with technology I have never had the opportunity to work with a smart board. As a future teacher I believe having the opportunity to use a smart board would be very beneficial for any lesson as it would help lessons flow smoother. However to have a smooth lesson with a smart board one must know how to use it right? (haha) Personally that is one area of technology I would like to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you on the part where you talked about how technology had a different role in and out of the classroom. The survey mentioned students used their phones in class to submit lessons and find research; when I was in high school we weren't even allowed to have cell phones in school. Things have changed a lot, indeed! It's kind of scary as well because this can make the new generation of students become very reliant on technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same reaction regarding the cell phone usage in the classroom. I remember far too many occasions where teachers reminded us of the dire repercussions of cell phone use during class, and always having to hide my phone if I was texting (bad student). Now they want the kids to have them out and using them! It's amazing, and encouraging, to see how far we've come in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your point that having such easy access to technology can pressure teachers to be connected at all times. I hadn't thought about that through my read but that brings up a good point. It also makes me think that I will have to be even more cautious and aware of the things I am saying and looking up. If I have access to information, my students must have that access as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the fact that you pointed out how teachers allow students to use their cell phones during class and how different the classroom environment has changed since you were a student. I agree with you that there are some negatives that come out of the advantages technology gives us. Having such technology today definitely does put the pressure on some teachers because they have to keep up with it just as much as kids naturally do on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna,
    When to use and not use technology to accomplish curriculum goals is something that many teachers struggle with on a daily basis. I really believe that technology use depends on context. I feel that teachers should not be using the “latest and greatest” just because it is there. Rather, they need to consider the advantages and disadvantages to using technology and always consider, will it make a difference in student learning?

    ReplyDelete